DIPA this weekend

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DIPA this weekend

Post by StellmacherBrewing on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:10 am

I'll be brewing a DIPA this weekend that will look like this:

For 5.5 gallons

10 lbs Maris Otter
4 lbs. Red Wheat
2 lbs. dextrose

Single infusion mash at 152F for 1 hour

1 oz. Centennial (9.0 AA) at first boil of a 1 hour boil

Cool to 180F then add 8 oz. Azacca, 5 oz. Centennial, and 4 oz. Amarillo

Cool to ambient and pitch packet of US-05

Ferment for 1 week then dry hop with 2 oz. Azacca and 1 oz. Amarillo for one week

Ferment for an additional week then repeat the same dry hop

Package
avatar
StellmacherBrewing

Posts : 16
Join date : 2015-03-03
Age : 42
Location : Cheswick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DIPA this weekend

Post by StellmacherBrewing on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:06 am

This beer is chugging along and should be ready for dry-hopping this weekend. Ended up over compensating for water loss due to evaporation and hop absorption, so I had about 3.5 gallons left over that got hit with 2 strains of Brett instead the Chico that is in the main beer. Should prove to be an interesting comparison.
avatar
StellmacherBrewing

Posts : 16
Join date : 2015-03-03
Age : 42
Location : Cheswick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DIPA this weekend

Post by StellmacherBrewing on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:36 pm

StellmacherBrewing wrote:I had about 3.5 gallons left over that got hit with 2 strains of Brett instead the Chico that is in the main beer. Should prove to be an interesting comparison.

The first of two dry-hoppings started yesterday. When I rack the main beer onto the second 3 oz. of dry hops this coming Saturday or Sunday, I'm going to rack the Brett APA onto the first dry hops, as they'll still have some goodness left in them that the Brett can access.
avatar
StellmacherBrewing

Posts : 16
Join date : 2015-03-03
Age : 42
Location : Cheswick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DIPA this weekend

Post by StellmacherBrewing on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:11 am

StellmacherBrewing wrote:
StellmacherBrewing wrote:I had about 3.5 gallons left over that got hit with 2 strains of Brett instead the Chico that is in the main beer. Should prove to be an interesting comparison.

The first of two dry-hoppings started yesterday. When I rack the main beer onto the second 3 oz. of dry hops this coming Saturday or Sunday, I'm going to rack the Brett APA onto the first dry hops, as they'll still have some goodness left in them that the Brett can access.

Second dry hop went in this morning. The DIPA is looking and smelling great. Anxious to see how much character the used dry hops give the 100% Brett beer.
avatar
StellmacherBrewing

Posts : 16
Join date : 2015-03-03
Age : 42
Location : Cheswick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DIPA this weekend

Post by StellmacherBrewing on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:27 am

StellmacherBrewing wrote:Package

Bottled this beer yesterday and was quite pleased with it. Nice balance of tropical fruit, sweet orange, grapefruit pith, and resin. The bitterness is not overwhelming, but it is solidly present. Anxious for it to carbonate and condition. Will certainly post tasting notes when it has. Same goes for the 100% Brett APA when I bottle her next weekend.
avatar
StellmacherBrewing

Posts : 16
Join date : 2015-03-03
Age : 42
Location : Cheswick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DIPA this weekend

Post by StellmacherBrewing on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:20 pm

StellmacherBrewing wrote:
StellmacherBrewing wrote:Package

Bottled this beer yesterday and was quite pleased with it. Nice balance of tropical fruit, sweet orange, grapefruit pith, and resin. The bitterness is not overwhelming, but it is solidly present. Anxious for it to carbonate and condition. Will certainly post tasting notes when it has. Same goes for the 100% Brett APA when I bottle her next weekend.

The Brett APA tasted lovely going into the bottle. As did the DIPA with only a week of conditioning. Really fantastic stuff. Anxious to use Azacca again.
avatar
StellmacherBrewing

Posts : 16
Join date : 2015-03-03
Age : 42
Location : Cheswick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DIPA this weekend

Post by StellmacherBrewing on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 am

StellmacherBrewing wrote:
StellmacherBrewing wrote:
StellmacherBrewing wrote:Package

Bottled this beer yesterday and was quite pleased with it. Nice balance of tropical fruit, sweet orange, grapefruit pith, and resin. The bitterness is not overwhelming, but it is solidly present. Anxious for it to carbonate and condition. Will certainly post tasting notes when it has. Same goes for the 100% Brett APA when I bottle her next weekend.

The Brett APA tasted lovely going into the bottle. As did the DIPA with only a week of conditioning. Really fantastic stuff. Anxious to use Azacca again.

Really having a difficult time figuring out which beer I like better. The DIPA is full of massive hop aroma and flavor with just enough bitterness to make it tick and the 100% Brett APA has TONS of great aromatics with just enough flavor and bitterness to maintain great drinkability.
avatar
StellmacherBrewing

Posts : 16
Join date : 2015-03-03
Age : 42
Location : Cheswick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DIPA this weekend

Post by DavisOnAPlane on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:09 am

The best problem to have ... to beers that you want to drink.
avatar
DavisOnAPlane
Admin

Posts : 12
Join date : 2015-01-12
Age : 30
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

View user profile http://homebrewdoo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: DIPA this weekend

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum